Tuesday, August 14, 2012

the tall, tall, wagon

So, I've been working pretty hard (for me, anyway) on getting back on the exercise wagon.  After my knees went to crap, I fell off of it hard enough to know me out.  It is SO hard to get back in the habit but my knees, while they will never be "good as new," are 95% pain free.  There is no reason I can't climb, gently, back in the saddle and every possibility that once I do they will feel even better.  Intellectually, I know this to be true.  Trying to get out of bed early enough to make it happen is another story in a different language.

I'm here to tell you first hand that the downhill slide from active to sedentary is a steep one.  I'm struggling with a fairly large knot of shame for the level of health I let slip through my fingers.  I'm a big girl, but I used to have boundless energy and decent stamina for general daily tasks.  Not I struggle home exhausted each night.  No exercise or fitness of any kind will be taking place in the evenings unless a miracle occurs.  If it doesn't happen in the morning while I'm fresh and lively, I just don't see it happening.  I'll have to work up to it, that much is obvious.

I believe all these things are linked.  If I can just climb back in to the tall, tall wagon, better things are on the horizon for sure.  Four straight days of getting activity in, and counting!

No comments: