Monday, October 5, 2009

Dramarama by E. Lockhart


The cover and the inside cover copy for Dramarama reeled me in:


Two theater-mad, self-invented

fabulositon Ohio teenagers.

One boy, one girl.

One gay, one straight.

One black, one white.

And SUMMER DRAMA CAMP.

It's a season of hormones,

gold lame,

hissy fits,

jazz hands,

song and dance,

true love,

and unitards

that will determine their future

--and test their friendship.

This book was all that I wanted it to be and I enjoyed it immensely! These two friends are determined not to be held back by their small town roots and go after the exclusive summer drama camp with everything they have. Sayde is seeking to get rid of her shy exterior to release the bigness and razzle-dazzle she has inside while Demi is looking for acknowledgement of his talent and his first chance at a romance not frowned on by his parents and community. They both find all they could wish for and more at the Wildewood Academy for Performing Arts Summer Institute.


This book reminded me of one of my favorite movies (so sue me!), Center Stage and another sort of theater-centered book I read early in the year, Suite Scarlett. Funny, mostly light-hearted, and inspiring!

No comments: