Monday, February 1, 2010

january reads

I started off the year, and the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge, with a bang by reading 9 books! Check it out!

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I hated it with a deep purple passion, blech!

2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke - I cannot BELIEVE I've never read him before! Exciting! Now I've got to read the first and watch the movies!

The Hours by Michael Cunningham - A very somber book exploring issues of suicide but the writing is SO beautiful! Another movie to add to my Netflix queue!

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - Winner of the 2009 Man Booker Prize. Dense, complex, and totally worth your time if you have any interest in the time period surrounding Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - A bit of a slow mover, but haunting and very well done for a first novel. I read it in advance of seeing the movie and, as usual, the book is much, much better!

Tattoo Machine: Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink by Jeff Johnson - A rollicking, hilarious, crude, irreverent good time from tattoo artist and co-owner of the oldest tattoo shop in Portland, Oregon, the Sea Tramp Tattoo Company.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - A new angle on the teenage werewolf. Dark, poignant, and perfect for the Team Jacob fan you know!

Believe Me by Nina Killham - Not exactly Christian fiction but deals heavily in themes of conflict between fundamentalist Christians and atheists as viewed through the eyes of 13-year-old Nick.

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest - Zombies, dirigibles, poisonous gas, oh my! This steampunk adventure will have you on the edge of your seat as Briar enters the walled off, poisoned, zombie-ridden city in search of her son. Bonus: the type is set in brown ink!

Hopefully February will be just as productive!

2 comments:

Kenny P. said...

I'm going to have to read some Arthur C. Clarke, too. I've been in the mood for some good sci-fi lately.

Holley T said...

I read the synopsis of 2001 on wikipedia before I started 2010, just to get up to speed, and it had a link to one of the original short stories, The Sentinel, upon which 2001 was loosely based. That short story was magical!