Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts by Laura Benedict


Um, okay. I grabbed Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts intending to count it toward both the 100+ Reading Challenge AND the Readers Imbibing Peril (R.I.P.) Reading Challenge but I can barely stand to admit that I finished it. I hate, hate, hate to say something bad about a book, but I just don't have anything good to say. This book is about 3 girls who get a priest defrocked for crimes of a sexual nature. The priest then gets a demon to exact revenge on the adults the young girls have grown into. That's right. The priest who, as a boy murders someone as he and his mother escape from Cuba, then as an adult, sleeps with a 13 year-old girl, is the victim here. The revenge the demon takes for the priest is of a sexual nature as well.


I admit right up front that I've read plenty of books in which dark, disturbing things take place and while I got the fantods, was grossed out, was disturbed by the images in those books, I've never really felt the distaste that came up with this one. If that was the author's intention, then she hit the nail squarely on the head. However, the characters all felt so flat to me. I didn't care for any of them and none had any redeeming qualities. One Amazon reviewer says it best, "...who is there to hope the devil doesn't punish?" Not recommended.

No comments: