Sunday, February 25, 2007

An Endangered Species......especially after I got home

The Vacuum Cleaner Salesman…rare, elusive, predatory……real damn annoying…..

….that’s right people, I saw one with my own eyes. He was in my house when I got home from a particularly harrowing day and I must admit that I was NOT NICE AT ALL. I was tired, hungry, my feet hurt, and it was 8 o’freakin clock at night! I wanted to make my dinner, watch a movie, and relax but that was not to be. My Bob Saggett wannabe went on and on. He kept asking me to sit down and I told him I had food to cook, he’d have to do the fast and dirty version of his spiel. And, the worst thing, his spiel consisted of him saying that he had to sell 4 more vacuums to win the 5 day trip to Cocoa Beach. Boy, that just warm the ol’ cockles. I finally told him that I was not interested in his $2000 vacuum and I had dinner to cook and M was making “I can’t afford it” noises too. He looked at me for a moment, then said, “Well, do you mind if I talk to her for a minute because she was all gung-ho before you got here?” to which I replied, “You have at it.” M is now the proud new owner of a $72/month 2 year payment for a vacuum cleaner and I had some dinner. He had an out of state cell phone number, no business card, apparently no car as he rode there with his “boss” who was working the neighbors across the street and diverted M’s request about getting a phone number in case she had questions by giving her the owner’s manual and saying that it would show her how to do everything. This all sounded incredibly suspicious to me so I hope they don’t clean out her bank account.

Adiós,
htw

No comments: