Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What's That In Your Hair ? ! ?

What a whirlwind week! I can hardly believe it’s been so long since I’ve been able to post. People are going to think I’ve lost interest in the whole blogging thing and that is certainly not the case….

……..anyway, I’ve read two really great YA books for class: Who Am I Without Him: Short Stories About Girls and the Boys in Their Lives by Sharon Flake and Zig Zag by Ellen Wittlinger.

Flake’s book of short stories was a 2005 Coretta Scott King Author Honor Book and it’s easy to see why. The theme of the collection is evident from the title, but I must say that something I fully expected to be mushy and saccharine turned out to be neither. The relationships presented could be anyone I know from the girl who puts up with an abusive boyfriend because he is popular to a girl and boy who are paired in the class for a relationship assignment and don’t like one another. The sappy romances I expected were nowhere to be found in these heavier cautionary tales.

Robin (recent high school graduate or about to be?) literally zigzags across the country in Ellen Wittlinger’s novel about broken relationships. I haven’t finished the book yet so I’ll just have to let you know whether or not the relationship is actually broken (but I personally think it is since Robin thinks Glenn the dude ranch hand is kinda cute). Her aunt is sad and not a little manic and her cousins are possibly the worst two kids I’ve ever been around (although their father recently died so I can understand their acting out to a certain extent). My favorite part so far is the cousins’ mutilating of each others’ names. Iris calls her brother Marshal “marshmallow” (and he hates it) and Marshal calls her “virus” (which she hates). I honestly don’t know why that amuses me so :)

P.S. My friend A told me the most horrible bandage-in-your-salad type story yesterday. She said a stylist once left a fake fingernail in her hair which she found later!!!!!! I don’t know why that was worse to me than food horror stories, but it was!!!

P.S.S. I finally got the pictures off of my camera and on to a disk so I’ll be spicing things up on here directly!

Adiós,
htw

No comments: