Tuesday, November 20, 2007

the cleanup effort...with tears



I have been up since 7am and cleaning like a mad woman! Roomie and I have been attending to our separate areas of the house all week. I helped her take some stuff over to her new house and I have been making (practically) daily trips to the Jimmy Hale Mission thrift store to drop off donations. I’m determined that this clean up will not be a rearrangement of the crap that is here. It will be a true cleaning in every sense of the word.

I’m now having a bit of lunch and trying to recover. I think my poor vacuum may revolt and leave. I really hope that they arrive on the 12 or 1 side of the b/w 12 & 4 delivery window so I a)won’t be late for work and b)can have time to drop off all the stuff in my car at the JHM thrift store on the way into work.

One of the local radio stations starts early and plays all Christmas music all the time until Dec 26th and that has been the only thing that has made the past few days bearable. I can sing and bop along while tidying and it doesn’t feel so much like work. I L-O-V-E Christmas music and look forward to this radio station’s programming all year long! I know it annoys some people beyond reason as it isn’t even Thanksgiving yet, but it makes the best season for me. Every task can be accomplished with a song on my lips :-D

With all that said, did I mention I have the air conditioning on in this house?!? You gotta love this southern weather :-D Last week I had to put salt on the porch in the mornings for the little crust of ice that had formed and this week shorts and flipflops are standard. Of course, this is also one of our tornado seasons here and it certainly feels promising, especially if another cold front comes through anytime soon.

Among the more interesting things I’ve found while cleaning…my ninth grade yearbook! What is it about school pictures that make them so utterly horrifying to look at later in life? Looking through these annuals makes me consider the question of which I hated more: high school or college (either time). I honestly can’t say at this point.

I could so go for a nap right now, but I know as soon as I drifted off the furniture guys would be here. I’m just so tired and it will only get worse since I have to eventually get dressed and go to work this afternoon. The library closes as 9pm and it’ll be another hour home just to get up and do it all over again. KT and her dh are heading to his parent’s house for Thanksgiving so I said I’d do her brown bag program tomorrow afternoon. I have vowed that this time I will go down early and make sure everything works including the remotes for everything.

I am not exaggerating when I say that EVERY TIME I’ve done the program for KT, something has not worked or has gone wrong. One time the scheduled speaker didn’t show up! Another time I received some faulty intel that no one wanted to watch the documentary that was scheduled so I just went to the library’s collection and selected another one. Unfortunately, I had to attend the state library convention that day so I got my coworker, Daxx the Magnificent, to put the movie in and he was nearly lynched by the contingent that had wanted to see the other movie. There were even complaints at the front desk. I should have outted my source of the faulty intel but I did not. It wouldn’t have accomplished anything if I had. Now though, I show what’s scheduled no matter what anyone has to say about it. It’s a free program after all and we feed them so it would be in their best interests to just be quiet. I never expect that of course, but it’s nice to think about sometimes.


Okay, so am now officially antsy. My feet hurt too bad to really begin a new cleaning project so here I sit at the dining room table….glued to the window. I feel like somebody’s dog, staring out the window in desperation for them to be home. I want to see that brightly colored truck slowing to make the turn into the driveway!

I’ve done 5 loads of laundry, started the dishwasher, dismantled my bed and slid it into the living room, moved the old recliners to make room for the new, vacuumed everything 2 or 3 times, had a talk with Binky concerning her upcoming stay in the cardboard Pet Waggin’ while my bed is being assembled, cleaned the kitchen, packed up Roomies silverware and spices, gone through the mail….I have nothing to do but wait now. But hey, at least there’s Christmas music! I guess I’ll have a look at my What On Earth catalog, maybe look through my slow cooker cookbook for some dinner ideas….

COME ON brightly colored truck!



Well, here I am, at work and only 30 minutes late. My lovely, beautiful sectional sofa WOULD NOT FIT THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to give up and return my lovely, beautiful sectional sofa :( :( :( After the delivery guys left, I cried like a spoiled baby. The salesman at R-t-G said it would not be a problem to swap the credit out but it HuRt My FeElInGs in the biggest way. Saturday, door measurements and tape measure in hand, I will head back to R-t-G and pick out another sofa. Since I'm off W, R and F next week, I'm hoping I can schedule delivery then.

Ya'll. Seriously. I'm sad.

...........and I didn't have time to unload my car at the JHM thrift store before work so I'll have to do it afterwards and I needed to go to store as well *sigh, long suffering* It'll be midnight before I get home and in bed.

Yes, I'd like some cheese with my whine thank you.

No comments: