Thursday, November 1, 2007

the week (maybe more than one) in review

We just been so busy I haven't had an opportunity to get a blog post into the mix, not even at home to bring in and post later! I just go to bed when I get home...too tired to do anything much at all.
:(

I had my first bookgroup outreach last Wed. Best I could tell based on the name she gave me, this was a bookgroup comprised of ladies who work at a local university...scientist/professor types. They were reading The Book Thief and the lady I spoke with had gotten my name from KT, who mentioned to her that I'd read and loved the book (and met the v. v. handsome author!). So I went to their bookgroup meeting and shared the few anecdotes I had from meeting Markus Zusak. I had a great time and the lady who initially invited me later sent me a lovely thank you not which I have taped to my desk. I love getting notes from patrons...as long as they aren't creepy notes :)

On the patron front, I can remember little of the weirdness that has gone on since I last complained to you guys....except for one. Tuesday night before last (Tuesdays are my late nights here at the biblioteca) a patron (I see him in here ALL THE TIME on our computers) came to me and said he'd been trying to log on to the public computer for 15 minutes and all he was getting was a bunch of wavy lines. I could not even ImAgInE what the problem was! We've really had relatively few problems since the new server was installed but I tromped off to the lab to do my best. We get to the computer, he leans way close to the LCD screen and PUSHES the login box with his thumb resulting in the wavy lines....'cause hey, it's an LCD screen stupid and where were you when Windows came out. But wait, did you notice above where I said he's in here using our computers ALL THE TIME?! I looked at him, he looked at me. I tried to tell whether or not it was a joke. It wasn't.

My only comment, "You need to use the mouse."
His reply, "I've only done this dozens of times, you'd think I could remember that."

Holley exits left.

What do you do? I couldn't very well laugh in his face. I wanted to but that is not good customer service as I've learned it.

Other than that it has been a week of rude kids and impatient people in general. I was helping a lady whose son needed a sports book that had been made into a movie. I was not having the best of luck ferreting out a title for her and we were looking over a general book-to-movie list to see if we could pick one out of the herd, much like a four leaf clover. After about 5 minutes, the little boy behind her stepped up next to her at the desk and said (interrupting us, I might add), "Excuse me, but is there anyone who could log me into a computer."

I stopped, looked at him, looked at my shocked patron and asked, "Do you see anyone else here? I am with another patron as you can see and I will log you onto a computer as soon as I am finished here. You will have to be patient."

I had another little brat do virtually the same thing while I was taking a reference call. Mid sentence I hear, "Excuse me, but I need to get into a study room." After a few seconds of brain boil in which I decided it would indeed be a bad idea to kick the little boy in his underdeveloped cajones, I told him I was on the phone with a patron and he would have to wait until I was finished. I apologized to the person on the phone for my interruption of them to answer Little Lord Fauntleroy and carried on. It wasn't as if he couldn't see I was on the phone as he was standing right in front of me and could SEE that I was busy....oooooooooo, I oftentimes just get so MAD at the impudent little twits.

oh well, enough patron-bashing for today
htw

No comments: