Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Master Harper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey


I’ve blogged about Anne McCaffrey’s Harper Hall trilogy before so I won’t go into that here, but let me tell you about McCaffrey’s The Master Harper of Pern.

The Harper Hall trilogy follows Menolly’s life in and among the Harpers, the most important of them being Master Harper Robinton.  The Master Harper of Pern chronicles Robinton’s life from birth up until maybe 20 years or so before Dragonsong picks up.  I learned about some relationships that were only vaguely alluded to in the other books I’ve read as well as some family connections I wasn’t aware of.  

I don’t feel comfortable going into anymore detail since that would give away some of the major parts of this book that I particularly enjoyed.  I have to be honest and say I liked it better when I didn’t know so much about Master Robinton’s personal history and he was only the benevolent mentor of Menolly of Half Circle Sea Hold.  That’s pretty silly since everyone is inclined to have human weaknesses (never mind the fact that these are fictional characters!) and I shouldn’t be worried about it but these are characters I have come to love very much.  I can’t help it!

So, The Master Harper of Pern filled in some back story to the Harper Hall trilogy that I didn’t even realize was there to be learned and now I’m seriously considering another challenge of my very own…to read the entire Dragonriders of Pern series!  The Pern books are so convoluted anyway that it is easily possible to get lost in all the different story lines and there are over 20 books in the series as far as I can tell.  I want to know all of the stories!

I like to think I would have been a Harper if I was on Pern and, obviously, ahem...if it was a real place one could go.

Any other Pern fans out there?

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I love the Pern books! My first book for this year was a new one written by Todd Mc.

Jenne said...

I read the Pern books back in my teens - wow, that makes me sound old! Anyway, I loved them then but didn't pick up the later books - although I am making my husband read them now. :)

Holley T said...

I think Anne McCaffrey should be recognized as one of the greatest in sci-fi/fantasy literature along with people like Robert Jordan, Tolkien, Niven, Piers Anthony, and all the rest. Maybe she already has been and I don't know about it...

Jenne said...

Quite possible. I still read the Crystal Singer trilogy about once a year.

Although I'm not sure I agree with you about Robert Jordan. The first few books were wonderful but he is too confusingly long-winded in his later books.

Holley T said...

Jenne - I agree with you but he sure does have a rabid fanbase