Friday, July 31, 2009

The Finishing Touches by Hester Browne


I heard about The Finishing Touches on several of the blogs I read but there are so many that I’m hard pressed to tell you which ones they were. This book is everything that I wanted Confessions of a Shopaholic to be. If Rebecca Bloomwood pissed YOU off as much as she did me, give Betsy Cooper Phillimore a try!

An infant is left on the doorstep of the prestigious Phillimore Academy for Young Ladies, a posh London finishing school. Twenty-seven years later, Betsy Phillimore returns with her freshly-minted math degree to try to revamp the rundown academy for the 21st century. Betsy runs into trouble with the school’s dismal finances, the embarrassing curriculum, the frumpy headmistress, and nosy alumni teaching classes on springboard marriages but she is determined to get the school running free and clear. Funny and sentimental with great little pieces of etiquette advice heading off each chapter, this is the perfect summer read for your vacation. Another beach read for me and I laughed the entire time!

No comments: