Monday, July 6, 2009

Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster

Pretty in Plaid is Jen Lancaster’s memoir of family, frivolity, and fraternity little sisters in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. She shares her early girlhood, high school years, way too much college information, and early career.

Pretty in Plaid indeed. I wanted to love this and I did for quite a ways until the huge chunk on college/sorority life. If you are a sorority girl, good for you. I never saw the attraction and this book made me retrospectively sad that I didn’t do more to make fun of the few friends I had in college who chose a similar path for themselves.


I loved the smart ass little girl and young adult, laughed at the clueless early 20’s Jen, and cringed with Jen during her 30’s. She seems like someone I could hang out with as long as she doesn’t ask me which house I pledged. I will definitely pick up her other books: Bitter Is the New Black; Bright Lights, Big Ass; and Such a Pretty Fat. You’ll laugh, you’ll groan, you might even sniffle a time or two.

No comments: