Friday, July 31, 2009

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan


To start with, I love Guillermo del Toro! I have all of his movies and watch them ALL THE TIME! So of course I’m going to read his book!

The Strain is a vampire book, but if you want your vampires all brooding, sexy, and seductive, this is not the book for you. Gore, violence, and every creepy image that had you screaming awake as a child are all crammed into a few hundred pages. If you’ve seen Pan’s Labyrinth or The Devil’s Backbone, you know what I’m talking about. This is the first in a trilogy and I am SO EXCITED about the next one. I liked the characters and was thoroughly creeped out. While it isn’t a “creeped out” that stuck with me and caused me sleepless nights, it was certainly worth the few days of elevated heart rate and the pause I had to take before entering dark rooms and, God help me, dark stairwells.

Take a trip back in time to when you were still afraid of the dark, I dare you!

No comments: