Monday, July 6, 2009

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman


The World Without Us is apparently going to be a wild and crazy place. Seriously, I’m not on a fatalistic streak or anything (since I don’t consider this type of book to be fatalistic anyway) but the genre book group I lead at work discussed dystopian fiction last month and I thought this would be a great companion piece. I was right!

Things I took away from this book:

New York City is apparently only a few broken pumps with no repairs in sight and 30 minutes from beginning to sink back into the swamp it arose from. Keep working guys!

Our pets won’t last much longer than we do, except for the cats, which are in turn wiping out the songbird population. (Binky doesn’t count as she is an indoor kitty.)

Chernobyl is home to wildlife again.

Empty swimming pools can really stink.

The world’s oceans are full of tiny specks of plastic. FULL.

There is a group advocating for voluntary human extinction, the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

So, if you don’t want to hear about waste disposal, global warming, climatic cycles, food shortages, forest/wildlife habitat destruction, general woe, don’t bother with the book. If you do, don’t complain to me. I like to read and be aware of all possibilities. So should we all.

No comments: