Thursday, February 26, 2009

High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D


Yay, yay, yay!  I loved High Voltage Tattoo!  I guess I am biased as I am a tattoo afficionado and love Kat Von D's show, LA Ink, but I liked this book as a reader as well.  The writing is raw, unpolished, and honest and Kat Von D has a great life story as well.  

Katherine Von Drachenberg was born March 8, 1982 in Nuevo Leon, Mexico,  and had a fairly amazing upbringing.  She and her siblings were brought up with a love of music and classically trained on a number of instruments.  Kat Von D still loves to play the piano (I believe I have talked the Book Diva into teaching me in exchange for my lasagna!). Her teenage years are where she began to really change and it was brought on, as usual, by the love of a bad boy :) I think we can all pretty much sympathize there! Her first tattoo was a momento of that relationship and she still has it and has no plans to cover it.  She left home very early, dropping out of school to do so and the tattoo shop timeline from then to now is best gotten from her book.  I would do it no justice here.  There are great quotes on art and inspiration throughout and some AbSoLuTeLy FaNtAsTiC tattooes and tattoo art as well as a fascinating look into the heavy hitters of the tattoo world.  I should only be so lucky...

I was jonesing for another tattoo anyway but now I don't know if I'll even be able to wait until the library conference in Chicago to get another (I like to get them while I attend conferences in other cities).  If I had any money right now, I'd go spend it on a tattoo.  I have a few things in my head that won't go away and I always research those for future tattooes.

Even more exciting was that she did a booksigning here in Birmingham last weekend so I got my copy autographed by the grand lady herself!  She seems nice on the show, sounded even nicer in her book, and my impression was not changed by the casual meeting.  She stood to shake hands with and greet every person who brought their book to be signed.  She made eye contact and smiled genuinely as far as I could tell.  I choose to believe that she did at any rate.  She is SO TINY in person....a little fey creature in leather and 6 inch platform heels :)

I have pictures but I'm petsitting right now so I'll get them uploaded this weekend when I go home.

1 comment:

Erica said...

how cool that you got to meet her too! :)