Monday, April 7, 2008

a case of the mondays

...in fact, an epic Office Space-sized case of the mondays

I had to threaten myself to get here this morning. I'm fairly certain it is because my doctor wanted me to do a sleep study and it is tonight.

I have to go check in at the ED of the hospital to be directed to the sleep study center. There are few things in life that I find as unappealing as the thought of having a room of underpaid doctors (probably bored interns) watch me sleep, if I can sleep at all with all the crap they monitor you with.

You have things on your eyelids to monitor REM sleep, things around your chest to monitor respiration, things below your nostrils to monitor airflow and things on your legs to monitor circulation...there may be other things that I can't remember right now.

Oh yeah, and you have to sleep on your back. I have never been able to that without pharmaceutical assistance. I may sneak a couple of Benadryl before I go in so I might be drowsy enough to fall asleep that way. My packet of information does say that if you have a hard time going to sleep on your back, you will be permitted to go to sleep on your side and one of the technicians will then come in and ask you to turn to your back. Great, the only thing better than sleeping in an uncomfortable position is being woken up by a stranger so you can freak out because you don't remember where you are and you now think there is a stranger in your house. If you wait a little while I'm certain I can come up with something else to bitch about...just wait! It's only one night, surely I can deal with it in a mature, adult fashion?

Right now I'm working on my talk for the Pastfinders social club on Thursday. When the lady asked me about it I said I'd like to talk about a few of the library's ongoing programs and do a few booktalks. This is SOP for library outreach. The lady got a real doubtful look on her face so I asked her what she had in mind and of course it was "whatever you'd like" and "we're just glad you could do it." I told her I'd be glad to talk about the history of libraries in America or hey, the world even! The doubtful look returned and I wanted to say, "Look lady. I am a librarian. I will be glad to talk for your group but you will have to hear about SOMETHING to do with libraries or librarianship. That's just the way we roll." I know KT had a group once that asked her to do a talk on Susan B. Anthony and she was glad to do it, but they still got to learn about the library, it's programs for adults and got a few booktalks in the deal.

Am I being to harsh? I am I presuming too much to want to promote my library's programs and services when a group asks me to do a presentation for them? I don't think so but I'd love to hear other opinions, especially from non-library professions/people.

back to work!
htw

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

F**k them, promote your library Cousin Holley!

Holley T said...

Thanks J ;)
I think I will.

Erica said...

wow. i would be awake all night if i had to do that. i would DEFINITELY suggest sneaking something to make you sleepy beforehand...

i will look forward to an account of this experience from you! good luck!

Holley T said...

Oh trust me, you'll be hearing about it...if there is something I will definitely be complaining about, it will be this. I know a sleep study is completely voluntary, but it's my blog and I can cry if I want to.
whaaaaaaaaa!

Ms. Hubbard said...

I am sorry I feel your pain I have never been able to get to sleep on my back either. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to have dinner and catch up.

Holley T said...

OMG...I really think I would have rather been waterboarded

Holley T said...

okay T, on seeing that I should have said:

Yes T, let's do dinner sooner rather than later!

As to the sleep study...that's where the water boarding comes in.