Thursday, September 20, 2007

a good 'un and a bad 'un

One of my favorite patrons, Mr. B, started a tradition several years back where we exchange jokes. Mr. B's jokes run the gamut of appropriatness, but are always funny :) Today was no exception.

Mr. B: (without preamble and over my shoulder as I was shelving at the time)I have a business proposition for you.....
Me: oookaaaay? (a little hesitant, you never know...)
Mr. B: combination vet's office and taxidermist. They're motto: No matter what happens, you get Fido back.
Me: *braying laugh that draws attention and is quickly muffled* I then made him promise to buy a ticket to the annual wine festival from me so I can work on getting my comp ticket...one down, 9 to go!

I did not have a joke to tell in return and was appropriately ashamed...I'll have to do better!


Now for the bad 'un!
Itch Butt Man came up to the desk
IBM: Do you have any of the ear buds up here?
Me: No sir, I'm sorry but we don't keep ear buds at this desk. They sell them downstairs at the front desk.
IBM: *grimace (which is pretty awful considering he is missing all front teeth between the canines)* You don't have any ear buds up here? Maybe hidden away in a desk drawer or something?
Me: No sir, I'm sorry but we don't keep ear buds at this desk. They sell them downstairs at the front desk. (playing on my theory that if you repeat the same thing over and over, the patron may eventually get the f-ing point)
IBM: sighed, loud and long-suffering, before trudging off for the elevator, thankfully not scratching his butt this time around...

yay! Somedays I love public service and some days......
htw

No comments: