Saturday, January 19, 2008

! ! ! CLOVERFIELD SPOILERS AHEAD ! ! !


Okay. I could stand the suspense no longer and went to see Cloverfield Friday afternoon. I had hoped to see it again before the weekend was out but could not carve out the time. I noticed that my post of a few days ago, my call for fellow viewers, drew an anonymous comment mentioning that People Magazine had given it 2 1/2 stars out of a possible 4 stars. I would like to say that I appreciate every visit and a comment and SiNcErElY hope that you'll visit again, BUT....please consult additional sources when investigating the validity of your entertainment choices. If it is a film/documentary, try Cinematical or Rotten Tomatoes. A book? Try Library Journal, Book List, or other assorted blogs. Sign up for one of the free aggregators, it's easy peasy! I have consistently disagreed with most critics and think they are more than a little snobby. I'm sure they'd say I am more than a little redneck but, the relative vertical placement of our brows aside, I am disagreeing with everyone who says this is in any way a shoddily made film. I urge everyone to go out soon and often to see it. Here's Fandango, find your theater and make a date!


As it is currently my favorite pet, please refer to favorable Cloverfield reviews here, here, here, here (both good and bad), and here. It has been nitpicked for not giving background info on the monster, how the camera was found, the fact that Lily runs an inordinate distance through subway tunnels in heels, and a few other things I can't remember the details about right now. I don't need background info on the monster, it would be just as tedious to put that material in this movie as it is when Jean Claude Van Damm does the same in his films to try and explain his accent. You don't see Arnold doing any of that sh!t. I don't care how the camera was found! I can't walk 1 foot in heels much less several blocks, but that didn't matter either. Movies are all about suspension of disbelief people and your movie dollar would be much better spent if you exercised a little of it. Why would you go see a monster movie if you don't suspend your disbelief? Why would you go see any movie not firmly in the drama category if such nitpicking is for you other than you are sure the fodder will be plentiful.


I love the movie experience and am rooting for the directors to take my mind OFF of reality for the duration of the movie. I'm sure as hell not comparing things I see on the screen to it. If I leave the theater and can't remember what time of day it is, much less the day of the week, I consider that a damn good movie whatever the genre. But, of course, I feel the same way about my books so go figure.


To be honest about it, I watched this movie. I love this movie. I was TeRrIfIeD! Not in a creepy, supernatural or grossed out kind of way but in an oh-my-god-what-would-I-do sort of way. I wanted to go out and buy flashlights and crowbars for every room in the house despite the fact that a parasite-ridden, vaguely reptilian giant thingie is highly unlikely to burst out of the Bibb County wilderness. In fact, if there is a parasite-ridden, vaguely reptilian giant thingie is running around, I would advise it that the average gun per household numbers here would make it a bad idea. Not that ammo did the movie military much good.


The shaky camera keeps you off balance, literally and mentally. I don't remember one bit of soundtrack if there was one, just the eardrum rattling roars, explosions and screams (and the noises those little baby bastards were making gave me goosebumbs). People are dying just as fast as you can develop emotional attachments to them, and never in good, clean, peaceful ways. It was stressful, loud, frantic, and NoNsToP!!!! I will go see it in the theater as often as I can because it will not make a good transition to a TV screen unless I had a movie theater-sized screen and sound system in my home and I SO do not.


Okay, the soapbox is collapsing now so I'll abandon my lofty perch and give ya'll an opportunity to leave an opinion if you wish!


evenin' ya'll!

htw

No comments: