Saturday, March 8, 2008

snowing again

I'm watching it from the window of my exercise/computing room. Oh, it's just a dusting on the ground but apparently it's really messing up our highways because so many of them are elevated. I'll be leaving in a little while to meet mom for mani/pedi, lunch and a movie (10,000 B.C.). Mom is trying to make some positive changes as well so we will be descending on the salad bar at Jason's Deli for lunch. I can usually do better than mom since I don't care for commercially prepared potato/pasta/chicken salads and she loves them. My salads end up mostly veggies with a few little crunchy tasties on them and I don't like them drowned in dressing but mom prefers her lettuce swimming :)

I can see the sun coming out now so maybe it'll warm up just enough to melt some of this stuff because I want my DWM (day with mom)! Surface streets are fine, if a little wet, so I'm going to have to plot my course across several counties to my mom's neck of the woods.

On a health note, I have exercised at least 30 minutes everyday this week and I have eaten in a healthy manner 95% of the time during the last 7 days! I'm trying really hard to make it a habit so I won't have to work so hard at motivating myself as I going along on this course.

Okay, with that boring Holley's House update, I'm off to get ready for my cold, cold day!
htw

3 comments:

Erica said...

good for you, H! hope you have a really fun DWM :)

Kenny P. said...

That's great! I'm proud of you. It's not easy making changes like that. (Sticking to them is even harder!)

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, but I do enjoy the fuzzy comforts of the booze-mind-hammer. Then I read last week that there's a huge connection between drinking and hypertension. So, since it runs in the family, and I've been borderline whenever I go to the doctor lately, I stopped drinking. It's been a week now.

I probably won't cut it out completely, but I haven't really missed it.

But, enough about me. I hope you had fun with your mom!

Holley T said...

It is so very difficult to moderate something you enjoy. I think the more primitive parts of our brain take the lovely sensations, run with them, and demand more. I know that's how my problems with food run. I enjoy a glass of wine several nights a week and it is SUCH a big part of my relaxing ritual. Not that 4 or 5 oz is doing much damage, but alcoholism has reared its ugly head in my family before and I did my deadlevel best to become one in college...don't we all? So I feel the call of the rest of the bottle after I finish my glass, maybe a glass and a half, but I don't usually have a problem with limiting it. It's the f*&%ing food I fight to tame.

Here's a green tea (I'm trying to replace coffee with this...working well so far) toast to all of us struggling with something!