Friday, March 7, 2008

speechifying

Today, at 11:40 I'll be giving a talk to a local women's group about library programming as well as booktalking a couple of must-reads and current favorites. The somewhat exciting part about it is that the group is meeting at the B1rm1ngham C0untry Club, which I would never be able to set foot in otherwise....think C@ddysh@ck, only much more serious and much more wealthy.

I'm sort of nervous and sort of not, a pretty awkward situation to find oneself in. I did attempt to wear something nicer than my usual everyday fare, but it still shows the signs of numerous washings which I'm sure I'll be hyperaware of and no one else will notice...just as a little bonus.

I'll be talking about the library's book group, an upcoming Jane Austen program KT is doing, my computer classes, the B1g Re@d, and the books I've chosen to booktalk are:

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search For Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert (which I'm sure everyone here is really tired of hearing from me about!)

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan (National Book Award winner)

The Uncommon Reader: A Novella by Alan Bennett

People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks

eeeeek!
htw

2 comments:

Erica said...

wish i could be there to hear you and give moral support! i'm sure you'll do a fantastic job :)

Kenny P. said...

I bet you did great.