Thursday, April 19, 2007

Great Audiobook

I am listening to I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak and must admit that I haven't been this entranced since Year of Wonders and The Taking! Zusak is an Australian author and Random House/Listening Library produced this audio with an Australian narrator (or some one capable of faking it?). This book was originally published Down Under and as an adult title.

It was published in the U.S. as a YA title. Now, Ed Kennedy is nineteen, drives a cab for living, and mentions high school or anything else of that nature little to none, but it feels like young adult literature and that is not defamation of character on my part. Ed is restless, bored, and wondering what to do with the rest of his life. (what teen doesn't) A self-confessed sexual midget, he is shy and awkward around his crush, fellow cab driver Audrey. (teen angst at its peak) His friends Marv and Ritchie don't do anything to help by getting drunk several nights a week, playing amatuer rugby, and having regular poker sessions. (ahh, the night out with the boys...the next day is always pleasant)

He's too young for me but I admit that I am not a little in love with poor Ed Kennedy...he's a great person that no one notices and I can empathize with that. He supports himself (barely), loves his 17 year-old stinky dog (The Doorman), and is loyal to his friends despite their bickering. What more could you ask for? Why do all the good ones have to be works of fiction?

AdiĆ³s!
htw

1 comment:

Holley T said...

I finished I am the Messenger this afternoon and it was magical. I'm definitely going to have to buy it (and The Book Thief) for my personal collection....go out and acquire Markus Zusak for yourself today!
htw