Wednesday, July 25, 2007

thoughts on the eternal sea

I am enjoying the beach SO much. This is just what I needed and I'm hoping I can go back to work and life with a much improved frame of mind and definitely more at ease. We have a book at the library called The Sea Can Wash Away All Evils. The main thrust of the book examines

the environmental crises facing the world's oceans from the perspective of
religious history. Much as the ancient Greeks believed, and Euripides wrote,
that "the sea can wash away all evils," a wide range of cultures have sacralized
the sea, trusting in its power to wash away what is dangerous, dirty, and
morally contaminating. The sea makes life on land possible by keeping it "pure."
(www.amazon.com)

The book is mostly just supporting the environmentalist cause and I'm not belittling the importance of that, but I am also interested in that other, cathartic facet that the ocean has. The first day we were out there the temperature was perfect, cooler than one would expect. I lay there with the sun baking the tiredness and burned edges off, the hiss and rumble of the surf like breathing...in with the salt and sand, a quick scouring of my crusty soul, and out with the remnant sludge of life.

Would it be too new-agey of me to say that my Pisces-ness has always held me in good stead with the water. I love swimming in any body of water although I am very cautious in the ocean...I am only too aware that we are nowhere near the top of the food chain in that environment. Unlike much of the world, this does not bother me. I don't get in the ocean early in the morning or late in the afternoon because that time belongs to another of Earth's creatures. Let them have it. The same goes for other dangerous environments like the desert, jungle, deep woods. Other creatures rule there. I just don't understand why people get so upset about the actions of animals who attack when we go into their realm. We don't hesitate to defend our households against intruders so why hold it against a bear, snake, or shark.

If the little sh!t (here, read "spider") happens to wander into MY house however, all bets are off. Expect to be dispatched with extreme prejudice.

Anyway, all this talk to say that the ocean is right outside the window (although it is a punishing 70 STEEP stairsteps down to the beach), the color is beautiful (seaweed is present though), the sound of it is delightful and soothing, and the sun is bright. I plan to go back home refreshed, smiling, and ready to make changes for the better.

mornin' ya'll!
htw

No comments: