Thursday, October 4, 2007

rainbows and rapture

no rapture today I'm afraid, that's just a title of one of my fav romance novels but I liked the alliteration.

It was a great day today nonetheless! My diploma FINALLY ARRIVED!!!! So naturally I HAD to go to the library and put it in the obnoxiously big and expensive diploma frame I purchased! I'll try to post some pictures this weekend as it is very special. While winding my way through the tiny kingdom on my way to the library, a rainbow peeked out from behind the clouds and I'll have those photos ready to post by the weekend too (hopefully!).

I didn't drive all the way to the library (it's an hour commute one way to work every morning) just to put my diploma up, but I would have :) A gentleman was referred to me by the director of the library and he needed someone to read to his wife. She has macular degeneration and the beginnings of dementia and he said she retained things better when people read to her rather than just listening to a book on tape or CD. We're going to give it try and see how we both like each other starting next saturday. I'll go over and read to her from 9am to noon. It'll take some time from my weekends, but I'm being well compensated as well as feeling good about doing something that seems (at least to me) to really improve someone's quality of life.

I've offered to do this for one of my fav patrons, Mrs. G, as she is 94 and suffers from macular degeneration as well, but she started crying and said she needed to get off the phone. I'll ask her again later. Off topic, but she was 9 years old when Carter found King Tut's tomb and remembers reading about it in all the papers and she and her friends playing endless tomb/egyptian/mummy games after that....you'd have to be dead to not think that is one of the most awesome things you've ever heard!

My ADD moment of the night, here's a new word I saw on one of the legions of blogs I've shouldered the loving burden of reading daily:
vomitrocious
You're lying if you say you won't be using when the very first opportunity presents itself!

htw

2 comments:

Jeff Stankard, Group Publisher said...

excellent commentary today. Congrats on the "proof". Good reading this weekend! very cool about Mrs. G. and I can't wait for the opportunity to use VOMITROCIOUS. I'm not lying!

Holley T said...

Thanks BSkove, I'm glad you didn't find it.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
wait for it....



vomitrocious

:)